Monday, November 20, 2006

silence?

I visited Annie Leibovitz's "American Music" exhibit at the DIA yesterday.*

Sure, they were great photos. Sure, she has nice cameras. Sure, she can hang w/ celebrities. But what does all of that mean other than she's well connected? I was disappointed in the descriptions of the images that I heard on the handy-dandy audio thing that they provide. She talked about how she wanted to find a road b/c some country singer sang about a road in one of her songs (or something like that). And there wasn't any music anywhere in the exhibit. When I asked the curator about the music--much to the embarrassment of my patient exhibit-mate--she fed me some info. about licensing. Hmpf.

So why is this bothersome? Well, I've been working on a fellowship application for the last little while. I'm supposed to prove that I'm the best candidate for the award based on the research that I do. If Annie Leibovitz can just "phone-in" her photos, why can't I just phone-in this application and say, "I'm the best applicant just because I am" and have them cut me a cheque/check? Wouldn't that be more fair?

It's like the photography gods provided an application and said, "If you are a good photographer and deserve to be exhibited in the DIA, check here." And Annie did.

I think the fellowship gods should provide an application where they say, "If you are a good scholar and deserve this fellowship, check here." Then I would. Simple, no?

(And don't even get me started on that Rothko painting we saw in another room!) ;>

----------------------
*The whole experience was a lot of fun not only b/c I could criticize the exhibit and photographer but b/c my judgmental comrade was amenable to the ridicule. (Thanks, J).

4 Comments:

At 23/11/06 8:42 PM, Blogger -m-a-r-t- said...

FINISH THAT DAMN FELLOWSHIP APPLICATION NOW!

by the by - you looked HOT the last time i saw you. seriously!

 
At 25/11/06 4:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope the rothko painting you're talking about is not the big orange and brown square. That's one of my favorite paintings in the museum!

 
At 26/11/06 8:34 PM, Blogger Vicki said...

Uh, well, ummm, are there *two* orange square paintings by Rothko, perchance? ;>

Erik, you'll have to explain the Rothko to me. I know it's about intention, thickness of paint, emotional reaction, etc. But what makes that better than, say, a hyper-detailed Rembrandt where you can practically feel the chiaroscuro effect and you can see the quail's every feather?

 
At 28/11/06 10:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know what you mean. It also happens that I am also qualified to receive that money...because I am. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home